Use these resources to implement Safety Stand Down in your department.
Safety Stand Down Daily Themes
Each weekday during Safety Stand Down will be dedicated to situational awareness during a specific type of response. The daily themes are as follows:
- Monday: Structure fires
- Tuesday: EMS
- Wednesday: Wildland incidents
- Thursday: Roadway incident response
- Friday: Acts of violence
Resources for each of the daily themes are available here.
Training Materials and Presentations
- One-hour introductory training video, delivered by situational awareness expert Richard Gassaway
- Introductory article to this year’s Safety Stand Down
- Articles with embedded videos on each of the week’s daily themes
- Recording of a live discussion to help prepare responders for Safety Stand Down, focusing on situational awareness during EMS calls, wildland Incidents, and roadway response
In addition, here are examples of Safety Stand Down materials created by local fire departments:
Safety Stand Down Training Bulletin – Valley Safety Officer’s Committee (AZ)
Daily PowerPoint Presentations – Chesapeake Fire Department and James City County Fire Department (VA)
- Day 1 – Structure fire
- Day 2 – EMS
- Day 3 – Wildland incidents
- Day 4 – Roadway incident response
- Day 5 – Acts of violence
Safety Stand Down Quiz Sweepstakes
The NFPA, in coordination with the NVFC, IAFC, and FDSOA, annually hosts an online Safety Stand Down Quiz to reinforce the messages behind the event’s theme. Those who take the quiz by June 22 can enter to win a sweepstakes – 20 quiz takers will be randomly selected to receive a signed copy of Richard B. Gasaway’s book Situational Awareness Matters Volume 3, and 200 participants will be randomly selected to receive a limited-edition Safety Stand Down challenge coin. Take the quiz now and encourage all personnel in your department to do the same.
Safety and Health Training
Specific training tools and messages for this year’s Safety Stand Down will be available soon.
The NVFC is also hosting a Health & Safety Training Summit on June 24-25 in Orlando, FL. This conference focuses on critical health and safety issues impacting firefighters and emergency medical providers. Learn more and register.
Find additional training from the following sources:
Submit Your Resources, Stories, and Photos
Click here to share your department’s safety and health resources, media coverage, activities you are planning for Safety Stand Down, and success stories from your department.
Future Safety Stand Down Dates
Safety Stand Down is held annually during the third week of June.